What Do I Want to be When I Grow Up?

Sixty-nine days ago, I became 61 years old.

I looked around at my life, so far.

I looked at my recent changes.

I began to wonder what the hell I was doing with my life.

I knew the answer:  not a damned thing.

I get up, go to work, come home, work on my house or list stuff on ebay or mow the yard, or shave the dogs...

It’s not a bad life, granted, but is this it? Is this my whole future?

Most of my family and friends are retired or self-employed or never had to work through some stroke of luck I never had the luxury of experiencing.

I hate them all.

Okay, not really.

I do envy them, however. They can do what they want, when they want. They don’t have to save up, they don’t have to plan years in advance for a trip. They can get up in the morning, think about going on a trip, pack up and hit the road. Granted, nobody I know can do it THAT quickly, but it’s how it feels to me.

And I envy that.

I want to go on trips. I have had wanderlust something fierce my entire life. I never took vacations, however. I’d just pack up and move somewhere new. A bit extreme, but it was my way.

I really miss it.

I miss the ocean. Here’s a gratuitous water photo from a vacation I actually got to take, 4 years ago.

This was in the Bahamas, during my second vacation as an adult. Second. It was 4 years ago.

Still the Bahamas.
 I want to be a gypsy. That is the answer to the question posed in the subjects line above.


I want to move around the country. No, I want to move around the world. I want to see as much as I can see. Try new things. Visit...everywhere.

I want to dip my toes in as many seas as I can manage. I can’t swim, but I love the water. I want to float about in the Mediterranean (again - more on that another time). I want to stand in the Atlantic. I want to stumble around in the Pacific. I want to stare into the sand beneath the water in Greece. I want to learn Italian and use it in Italy.
 I want to get out of the airport in Paris and actually touch the Parisian soil and be scoffed at for speaking French badly. I want to visit all the touristy places in England and stomp around Scotland.
 One thing...I do NOT want to try to catch a plane in Amsterdam. Ever. Again. That was the worst.

Catching the theme?  I like water. Oceans. Seas. Rivers. Streams.

I can become a gypsy. I just need to get started.




Comments